What We Do and How We Do It
"Promoting the experience of environmentally sensitive travel. Realizing as a ripple of water reaches out to shore,
a single act touches many..."
SEDONA TOURISM AFFINITY GROUP - Members
How GREEN are YOU checklist.
N Arizona Green Introduction and Form Utilization Guide
The Institute of EcoTourism’s sustainability efforts are based on the conviction that economic vitality and the protection of natural and cultural resources are closely linked.
The Institute promotes environmentally conscious tourism and sustainable community development by:
- Developing and implementing a conservation model for resorts and hotels.
- Documenting and publicizing outstanding sustainability practices and sustainable community development models in the travel and tourism industry.
- Training travel industry professionals in sustainable business operations and benefits.
- Serving as a clearinghouse for travel and tourism related sustainability information and management practices.
- Developing partnerships and facilitating collaboration among industry, government agencies, non-governmental organizations and research institutions to study and promote environmentally conscious tourism.
ONLINE CONSERVATION RESOURCES
www.recycleworks.org - recycling, resources
www.earth911.org - conservation and education resources
www.greenglobe21.com - benchmarking and certification program
www.watereducation.org - water conservation info
www.sierraclub.org - the Sierra Club
www.audubon.org - the National Audubon Society
www.amfor.org - American Forests Association
www.enn.com - Environmental News Network
www.dinegreen.com - Green Restaurants Association
www.greenhotels.com - Green Hotels Association
- Five good reasons to recycle: it conserves energy and resources, it saves energy, it preserves clean air and water, it saves landfill space, it can save money and create jobs
- By recycling one ton of paper you save: 17 trees, 6953 gallons of water, 463 gallons of oil, 587 pounds of air pollution, 3.06 cubic yards of landfill space, 4077 kilowatt hours of energy
- Americans throw away the equivalent of more than 30 million trees in newsprint each year
- Every day American businesses generate enough paper to circle the world 20 times
- Paper products make up the largest part (40%) of the world's trash
- Americans use more than 67 million tons of paper per year, or about 580 pounds per person
- Americans discard enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet every three months
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100 watt light bulb for four hours
- We throw away enough iron and steel to continuously supply all the nation's automakers
- Each year, Americans throw away 25 trillion Styrofoam cups
- If your lined up all the Styrofoam cups made in just one day, they would circle the earth
Water Conservation Facts:
- On a daily basis, the people of the United States use more than 380 billion gallons of water
- A leaky faucet can waste 100 gallons of water a day
- An average family of four uses 881 gallons of water per week just by flushing the toilet
- You use five gallons of water by leaving the water running while brushing your teeth
- It takes 1000 gallons of water to produce one gallon of gasoline
- Each new aluminum soda can takes 29,000 gallons of water to produce
- Each newspaper requires 66,000 gallons of water to produce
- Each glass of restaurant water takes two gallons to wash it
- The bathroom accounts for 75% of the water used inside the home
- More than half the residential water used in a western city goes to outdoor landscape watering
- It takes half a gallon of water to cook a pot of pasta, and a gallon to wash it
- It takes 2600 gallons of water to produce one steak
Around 32% of our drinking-quality water
is flushed down the toilet!